Stuffed Beef Cannelloni
- 1-1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 5 cups pasta sauce, no sugar added (about 1-1/2 26-ounce jars or homemade)
- 1 8-ounce bag fresh baby spinach, slightly wilted
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 8-inch tortilla/noodles (crepe style cannelloni)
- Bechamel sauce (recipe below)
- Extra pasta sauce, optional (for serving)
- 1 lb. ricotta
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
- Pinch of nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray or oil a 9" x 13" shallow casserole or baking dish with olive oil.
In a medium stockpot, cook ground beef over medium high heat, breaking it up and crumbling into small pieces with a large spoon or spatula until browned. Add 2-1/2 cups pasta sauce and simmer uncovered until sauce is reduced and meat sauce is thickened, about 30 minutes, until most of the liquid is evaporated. Set aside to cool for about 15 minutes. Stir in mozzarella cheese.
While meat sauce is cooling, prepare bechamel sauce. In a medium bowl, whisk ricotta, eggs, 1/2 cup Parmesan, and nutmeg together until smooth and well blended.
Spread a thin layer of pasta sauce (about 1/2 cup) in bottom of casserole dish. Divide and place about 1/3 cup thick meat sauce in center of each tortilla/crepe. Top with about 1 tablespoon of wilted spinach. Roll cannelloni up, tucking ends to make a tight bundle. Place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat with remaining cannelloni until casserole dish is filled, tucking snugly together. Spoon a thin layer of pasta sauce over top of cannelloni (about 1 cup). Spread bechamel sauce over top and sprinkle with additional grated Parmesan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until bubbly. If additional browning is desired, run under broiler for a few minutes. Let sit about 10 minutes before serving. Top with additional pasta sauce, if desired.