Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Steak Topped w/ Mushrooms in Creamy Dijon Sauce, Asparagus & Easy Cole Slaw

This evening it was a gorgeous evening. It was in the low 70s, breezy and beautiful. So beautiful that I stopped at the store on my way home to pick up a couple of porterhouse steaks to grill for dinner. I was looking forward to a relaxing evening with a delicious meal. Well, we ended up with a delicious meal but it was anything but relaxing!

When I got home I made my Easy Coleslaw which is so simple and delicious. I popped it in the fridge to chill and let the flavors blend a bit while I prepped the fresh asparagus to roast (I tossed it with avocado oil, sea salt and black pepper and spread it out on a parchment lined baking sheet). I sliced a few cups of fresh mushrooms and sauteed them in a tablespoon of Kerrygold Garlic & Herb Butter until all the juices cooked off and then I added another tablespoon of garlic herb butter, about 1/4 cup of heavy cream, a couple tablespoons of dijon mustard (I used Grey Poupon smooth style) and stirred it around with the mushrooms until it became thick and creamy and then added a pinch of salt. I tasted it and added another splash of cream to get the perfect consistency. While hubby was out starting the grill, I seasoned our steaks with a light dusting of chipotle/roasted garlic seasoning. Sounds like a pretty blissful scene so far....right? NOT!!!

When I stepped out onto the patio to put the steaks on the grill, I was enveloped with thick billowing black smoke and it looked like our back yard was on fire. I ran over to the grill and opened it up and big huge flames were shooting up and it appeared to be on fire (yes, our less than a year old Weber Genesis Grill had become an inferno). Mind you it backs up to our wood fence. Hubby ran out and opened up the cabinet doors underneath where the gas tank sits. You could see flames underneath too. We shut it off and he pulled out the tank so we didn't have an explosion. It took a bit for the flames to finally extinguish. It appears that the metal tray underneath must have had grease in it that caught fire? I have no idea what happened to be honest because I have never seen anything like that before and we have been grilling for decades.

We let the grill cool off and then hubby pulled the tray out and cleaned the charred "whatever" out of it and we started it back up again. I placed the steaks on the grill and within 2 minutes, guess what...NO GAS!!! Yup, now we had run out of propane! I'm beginning to think this was some sort of sign that we weren't supposed to be grilling tonight. Hubby ran to the store and got a new propane tank and we were finally able to finish grilling the steaks. All I can say is holy moley cannoli...this evening was anything but relaxing! LOL Believe it or not, dinner actually turned out delicious but I only ate about half of mine because somewhere in the chaos my appetite sort of disappeared. I wrapped it up and will enjoy the other half for lunch tomorrow. I will say though, that if you like mushrooms, these mushrooms in creamy dijon sauce were amazing and my favorite part of the entire meal. They were great on the steak as well as all by themselves. I snapped a couple photos of the "meal that almost wasn't" below. Enjoy!



Alice said...

Your dinner sounds and looks delicious, GGC, but what an evening. So very happy that all ended fine and you were able to keep that fire from traveling and handled everything very well. I can only imagine how your hearts must have been racing during part of that time.

(I have such a horrible fear of fire. I set our oven on fire once and that really scared me - spilled chicken grease/juice into it from a tipping roasting pan. I still don't like to cook above 400 degrees in it though I think it would be ok to do so.)

I bet your lunch tomorrow will taste fabulous to you.

Take care,
Alice B.

Gourmet Girl Cooks said...

Hi Alice,

Thanks so much. Oh my, I, too, would be terrified about setting the oven on fire! Pretty scary and it's amazing how fast it happens, isn't it. You realize how quickly things could get out of hand, too.

I'm sure tomorrow's lunch will be more enjoyable than this evening's dinner. It was hard to just sit down and be calm after the chaos. :-)

CyberSis said...


Holy Moley Cannoli is right! What a horrific story behind that lovely photo of your dinner plate! I'd have lost my appetite too! I'm so glad that you and/or your hubby weren't hurt and that you were able to get things quickly under control. I'll bet you'll be checking that tray before starting up the grill from now on. I'd be tempted to contact the company to see if other people have had issues, and Weber might even appreciate knowing about your experience. Who knows, if there was a defective part or a design flaw, they might even "make it right."

The mushroom sauce sounds outstanding, and so simple! I really like Grey Poupon ... for one thing, you can still get it in glass jars. :-)

Gourmet Girl Cooks said...

Hi CyberSis,

It was quite shocking. We will probably give Weber a call to see what they say about that. Even if they can simply tell us what might have caused it and more importantly how to prevent it from happening again. I really loved the cream Dijon mushrooms. I will definitely make them again!

I'm with you on the glass jars, too! :-)

Anonymous said...

Always a good idea to purchase a fire extinguisher and keep it near the kitchen area {in a cabinet or pantry} in case of a kitchen or grill fire! Cheap insurance.

Gourmet Girl Cooks said...

Hi Anonymous!

Agreed! (re the fire extinguisher)