- In a large, heavy stockpot, brown Italian sausage and beef, breaking up as you stir, drain fat. If necessary, add olive oil to continue cooking the additional veggies with the meat.
- To your pot of browned meat mixture, add onions, red bell pepper and carrots; continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions, carrots and peppers begin to soften.
- Add garlic, zucchini and squash; cook until slightly softened.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water.
- Add oregano, basil, parsley, brown sugar, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
- Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in red wine.
- Cover; simmer on low, stirring occasionally for about an hour; longer if desired (I transferred mine to my crockpot after an hour on the stove and let it continue to cook on low for several more hours).
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Ladle sauce over drained pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil or parsley before serving. Enjoy!
2 cups granulated sugar (I used slightly less)
½ cup milk
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
½ cup peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups quick-cooking oats